- Quick summary of the entire blog:
(note: added the following paragraph)
The summons requires Monson to “appear before Westminster Magistrates' Court, 181 Marylebone Road, London, NW1 5BR on 14/03 2014 at 10AM in Courtroom 6 to answer the said information…”
Two of the sections in the fraud act 2006 are quoted in the case: Section 2, “Fraud by false representation” and Section 3, “Fraud by failing to disclose information”.
- · Found guilty on election fraud (proposition 8 in CA,USA)
- · Holland lied to BBC interviewer
- · LDS Church has been reported and accused of tax evasion in the UK (more below)
(note: added a change below)
Now that said, Scientology has had difficulty with fraudulent court cases in Germany and found responsible for unethical if not criminal behavior based on a few ridiculous beliefs used for extracting money from believers.
Let's think about this. If you own a patch of land and you make mythical claims about leprechauns and unicorns roaming its pastures and you can convince a potential buyer to pay far more money than its true value based on obvious fraudulent claims, the court will cite you with charges to defraud with false representation. In effect, the Mormon Church has made claims that are used to increase the value of afterlife mansions and treasures in heaven, requiring temple attendance to be considered a worthy and saved member. Attending the essential temple ceremonies in turn requires one to be worthy in accepting beliefs/teachings, the near infallibility (sustaining) of prophets, tithing and donations. The teachings and the claims of the prophets who one is required to sustain are what the fraud case examines--the claims that can be verified accurately with modern science and history to show as completely fraudulent.
How is that really much different than selling someone pristine homesteads in Florida swamplands with the claim they are waterfront property? You hear the sales pitch, and if you buy without verifying the claims, you can still sue for fraudulent claims.
I know, the sacred untouchable free exercise of religion is a high tower. When a religion can claim any old theory as part of its religion, including particle physics, archaeology, astronomy and more--all of which are total bunk in modern science, shouldn't it be held to the same standard as Florida swampland homesteaders?
(And yes, Mormons make claims about spirit elemental particles, archaeology of ancient America, kolobian astronomy and energy sources...)
- - Rent or lease or house payment,
- - Food,
- - Clothing,
- - Household supplies,
- - Family activities,
- - Dry cleaning,
- - Personal long-distance calls to family,
- - Modest gifts (for example, Christmas, birthdays, or anniversary),
- - Utilities,
- - Telephones,
- - Internet connection,
- - Gardening, (employed gardener)
- - Repair or replacement of household items,
- - Part-time housekeeper,
- - Part-time cook,
- - One mission automobile assigned exclusively to the mission president,
- - Other assigned mission vehicles (used by the wife or licensed dependents for“shopping, taking children to school, or other needs.)
- - Automobile insurance, registration and taxes on assigned vehicles,
- - Medical expenses (dental, eye care and medically necessary orthodontia),
- - One round trip fare for each child under age 26 to visit the parents’ mission,
- - Elementary and secondary school expenses for tuition, fees, books, and materials,
- - Undergraduate tuition at an accredited college or university,
- - Financial support for children serving full-time missions
(note: added the following)
Tom also tells me: "The tax evasion case will be brought by the government later this year. However Monson won't be charged personally with that. It will be a corporation and the penalty will be a fine. Monson can claim he left all that to his accountants. Also the size of the 2 cases $10m tax evasion vs $300m in tithing fraud. See the difference? On tax evasion he does not get prosecuted, the COP pays a fine. On fraud, if convicted, he goes to prison and could be ordered to pay tithing to victims and have hundreds of millions of church money confiscated.
" That is why I concentrated on the fraud case and just reported the tax evasion to HMRC. Fraud is the bigger and mote damaging issue. However, it is not a question of one or the other. Both cases are going forward."
I'll continue updating on the case and the tax evasion filing as time goes on.
Some have asked if I am happy to see Thomas Monson given this "black eye". No, I'm not. I wish the world were a place where we could all speak openly and honestly. I wish we could all sit down over a coffee or Pepsi and discuss the issues like gentlemen, work them out, admit our deficiencies and know that we are all in this world together. No one has a pipeline to God more than anyone else, whatever 'god' really is. Monson pretending to have that unique pole-position with god hurts a lot of people who spend a lot of their lives worried over activities, rules, lifestyles and donate a lot of hard earned money they could be using to better their lives, their children's lives or donate to causes that actually affect people of great need. Instead, Monson and his pals continue soaking good-hearted people for the benefits of their egos and to some extent, their wallets.